Monday, May 11, 2009

Destroyed Phone Booth


This is one of my favorite photos! This crime scene occurred right outside my office last year. On the corner, there's usually a bagel cart right in front of this phone booth. Based on the angle of the hit (it's leaning into the street), this smash was not caused by car traffic. I have a feeling that the bagel guy backed into it when he was hitching up his cart to leave, but I could be wrong.

The whole scene made me realize that cell phones have really taken over our lives. I haven't seen anyone use a public phone booth - except for protection from the rain - in over 5 years! Do they serve any public service anymore? Everyone has a souped up cell phone, iPhone, or Blackberry. Most everyone has unlimited minutes on their phone, so if you had a emergency, chances are you could borrow a stranger's cell phone.

I think public phones are still around for making prank calls or anonymous calls. Perhaps that's a subject for a future post?!

*

Telephone booth smashed!
Prickly glass bits stick my feet.
My shoes now have holes.

*

“Caution” tape at scene -
someone murdered the phone booth!
No cops – just cleanup.

*

Who will mourn this heap?
Unused public phone was killed!
No one cries for you.

*

Pile of broken glass
does not slow down Crackberry
man who walks and texts.

*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the one about the Crackberry man.

 
Locations of visitors to this page